Monday, March 12, 2012

The Walking Dead

If this show had started about 5 years ago, I don't think I would have been into it. Zombies and horror were never really my thing in high school. But after about 5 years of reading Stephen King, playing Left 4 Dead and watching movies like Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland, the television show The Walking Dead had my name written all over it. Fans of the show will tell you that the first season was pretty damn good, with the exception of maybe two episodes, and this season, while not AS good as the first, is still pretty darn good. So you are probably asking yourself "MP, if you love this show so much, why are you talking about it now as opposed to earlier?" Well for one thing, I was going to write something after the season ended, but after last night's episode, I feel as if I can't wait any longer, I need to talk about this season, even though there is still one more episode left. First of all, I will tell you that I'm going to try to keep this as spoiler free as possible, but given the stuff that has gone down this season, this is going to be easier said than done. Last season, we saw 3 characters kick the bucket. 2 of them were somewhat major and the other was one we had just met the episode before. While their deaths were heavy, it doesn't nearly compare to the shit that we have seen on this most current season. I won't spoil who, but I will tell you that 3 of the major characters die in this season, one of them was a shock, one of them was just downright sad, and the last one... Well, I'm not gonna lie, I was actually glad. I had really grown to dislike that character in this season. And considering that the last episode of this season looks like it is just going to be the group trying to defend themselves against a massive zombie horde, I would say that it isn't unreasonable to say one more person will die. Most people would say that killing off this many characters this early in the show's running is not a good sign, showing that the writers are already running out of ideas. But I say nay, I think this is a good thing. Just like Game of Thrones, you have to approach the show with that mentality that everybody is expendable. This is not one of those shows where people can just resolve their differences and move on, people will and have died. Even the author of the books that the show is based on has said that he will kill off whomever he pleases. Having said that, some may say that the show is loosing steam, but I say it's just getting started. Brace yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment