Friday, January 13, 2012

Favorite Writers

Just thought I would take a break from writing about movies to talk about literature. Even though I have a passion for film, I have just as much of a passion for literature. I guess you could say that overall, my true passion is in storytelling, rather than just narrowing it down to one specific medium of storytelling. Anyway, a couple weeks ago, I shared my favorite directors, and now I'll share my favorite writers.


  1. Dennis Lehane- I'm a sucker for mystery novels, and that is the one thing that Lehane has mastered. He has written several books including Gone Baby Gone and Mystic River. Both of which were turned into great movies, one of them being amongst my favorites.
  2. Stephen King- This really applies more to his work pre-2000. Since the late 90's I don't think he has written as good books as he did during the 70's and 80's. I will say that I did enjoy his latest book Full Dark, No Stars, but it doesn't nearly compare to Salem's Lot, The Shining, Misery, or Carrie. And do I even need to mention The Dark Tower? I think it goes without saying that The Dark Tower is some of King's finest work.
  3. Professor JRR Tolkein- I shouldn't have to say that much about this writer, considering he is known for being one of the most influential and most beloved authors of the past century. The Lord of the Rings has practically become the Holy Bible of both geekdom and modern literature, setting the bar for both story and characters, and providing a precedent for certain archetypes.
  4. JK Rowling- It would be difficult for me to avoid this entry, considering that, like a lot of people, Harry Potter was a big part of my childhood.
  5. Tom Clancy- Much like Stephen King, this one really applies more to his past work more than his most recent work. I am a huge fan of the novels involving Jack Ryan, as well as other novels like Rainbow Six. The rest of his stuff is a little mediocre.
  6. John Le Carre- This is what I think Tom Clancy should be more like. If you want to get an idea to what his writing is like, take all of the James Bond novels, suck out all of the action and pizazz, and you have John Le Carre. Sure, his writing is much slower than Tom Clancy's, but I think it is a bit more engaging.
  7. Mario Puzo- What can I say about this guy? Well, he wrote The Godfather, does that give you an idea? Moving on.
  8. Mary Shelly- Even though her work is very old, she did write one of the most well known books of all time. If you don't know what that particular book is, kiss it. The part of her novel that I really love is the idea of that constant battle between science and nature, and how there are some dastardly consequences that occur when science tries to but out nature. The idea is that either they should leave each other alone, or they should go hand in hand to work towards a better tomorrow.
  9. Edgar Allan Poe- Some people may think that I am a little messed up for putting him here, but I don't care. There is a reason why Poe is considered to be one of the greatest American authors, and why his work is taught in every junior high and high school. If you want to know what that reason is, then I would refer you to The Tell Tale Heart, The Raven, or even The Fall of the House of Usher.
  10. Hunter S. Thompson- This guy is one of those people who is both entertaining and insightful. When he isn't saying something thought provoking, he's just being bat shit insane

No comments:

Post a Comment