Monday, February 27, 2012

Oscar Reactions

So it's not news to anybody that the Oscars were last night and if you have been following this blog, you also can pretty much piece together that I disagreed with the academy on a lot of their choices. While I disagreed, I can actually understand why they went with the choices that they went with, unlike last year where The King's Speech swept everything, and I felt like it was just your basic generic Oscar contender. This year, I actually watched it and said "I would have gone differently, but I respect your decision". So let's get started, and I'm only going to touch on the topics that I actually have something to say on. And to be clear, my picks are not my predictions, they are my choices, who I wanted to win.

Best director/ Picture
Winner- Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist)
My Pick- Martin Scorsese (Hugo)
It's no secret that I am a huge Martin Scorsese fan, and it's even less of a secret that I adored the movie that he made this year, I even admitted to it being one of my new favorite movies. What I loved about this movie is how it saluted old school movies and paid tribute to some of the films that continue to inspire movie makers even to this day. Oddly enough, so was the case with The Artist. The fact that this movie was a silent film, all in black and white and done with 1930's music, just like they would have made it in the movie making days of old really shows that this movie was not made for the money, it was made for the art. Someone really had a story to tell and the fact that even mainstream audiences were able to enjoy it as well just goes to show that some art forms may never die out, even when we have reached an age where movies have to have certain things (namely SOUND). I really admire this movie for going all out with the silent movie thing. Did I mention that I still have yet to see The Artist? Even if I don't enjoy it as much as other people did, I can at least give it credit for what it was trying to do, and evidently achieved as well. I stand by my stance that I think Hugo was the best movie this year, combining older movie elements with modern day effects and visuals, but I think this honor was well deserved. Kudos to the cast and crew.

Best Actor
Winner- Jean Dujardin
My Pick- Gary Oldman
Gary Oldman has long been one of my favorite actors, and has long been an icon in the film community. His nomination this year marks the first time that he has even been recognized by the academy. If Artist wasn't in sweep mode, then I don't think him winning would be that far off. Mostly because his fellow thespians acknowledged him for the legend that he is and even hinted at their own disgust that it took this long for him to get recognized. Well, Oscar or no Oscar, I still love you Gary.

Best Actress
Winner- Meryl Streep
My Pick- Rooney Mara/ Michelle Williams
While I would have liked to see Michelle Williams or Rooney Mara win this honor, because I thought they were both perfect in their roles, I can't fault the academy for going with Meryl Streep, mostly because it's Meryl Streep. She is hands down one of the finest actresses of all time and deserved the award a lot more than she had earned it. Being that Rooney and Michelle were able to get nominated this year, it's not much of a stretch to say that another one will be in their futures.

Best Supporting Actor
Winner- Christopher Plummer
My Pick- Max Von Sydow
This is another one where I can't fault them for going with their choice because as much as I love Max Von Sydow, I am glad that Christopher Plummer won because he too is a fine actor that has yet to be recognized. I listed him as my second choice to win.

Best Song
Winner- Man or Muppet
My Pick- Man or Muppet
Screw it, I love The Muppets, and I don't give a rat's ass who knows it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment