Monday, August 27, 2012

The Expendables 2

We might as well just call it The Expendables because I think it was everything the first one should have been. Quick review of the first one, I think it had its cool moments, but overall, it was pretty underwhelming. You have all of these action stars and yet the focus seemed to be on mostly Statham and Stallone. Plus, if you are going to have a scene with Arnold, Sly and Bruce Willis, you'd better sure as shit have them blow something up... Which they didn't. This movie took all of the problems that I had with the first one and remedied them. Now Arnold and Sly are in it more, and they were even nice enough to give us Chuck Norris and the Muscles from Brussels, Jean Claude Van Damme. The one thing that I have heard people say a lot is that all of the people mentione above are all of the "has-beens". While that may be true, this movie proves that there is still room in everyone's hearts for each of these badasses. I know this because when I saw the movie with a friend of mine, the whole theater cheered when each person had their own introduction scene. They even cheered when Jean Claude Van Damme kicked a knife into a dude's chest. However, I will say that there is one last thing that bothered me. You know how there's that cliche that if a guy is either fresh from the academy or on his way to retirement, he is usually the first to kick the bucket? Or at least their death is more dramatic than the other characters? Well, in the case of Expendables 2, they managed to squeeze in a character who is both a rookie and pretty close to retirement, and guess what? They kill him off in the first 15 minutes. I know that may be a spoiler to some of you, but if it doesn't happen in the second half of the movie, I figure it's in safe territory for me to spoil.

Final Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment