Sunday, October 7, 2012

Frankenweenie

I've found myself apologizing for a number of things lately. One of them is being an enduring Tim Burton fan in spite of his last few movies. Even though I have said multiple times that some of his films, especially the ones that have come out in the past few years, have landed in the 'Guilty Pleasure' category. Thankfully, he has finally come out with a movie where I don't think I'll have to make that excuse. Frankenweenie, Burton's first animated film in years, is a remarkable movie that ranks amongst his best. The story of a boy who brings his dog back to life after an unfortunate accident was made into a short film many years ago and has now been made into a full length motion picture paying homage to classic horror films including Frankenstein and Dracula. In this movie, Burton's love of such films really becomes evident in the style of the character's appearances, the fact that the whole movie is in black and white, and even a character that is a salute to classic horror actor Vincent Price. If you're a Burton fan, you'll love it, if you have pets, you'll love it, if you like old school horror, you'll love it. Seeing as how I fit into all 3 categories, it's pretty safe to say that I freaking love this movie and will be looking for it on Blu Ray when it comes out. Something that I have heard a number of people ask me is how I think it compares to Paranorman. Well, they are both similar in that they pay homage to horror flicks of the past and they both use stop-motion animation, which I always enjoy, but they also have a vast number of differences. For starters, Norman salutes more of the slasher films of people like George Romero than the traditional monster genre whose homage was payed by Frankenweenie. I will say that I enjoyed the humor of Paranorman more while the style and story was trumped by Frankenweenie. Not to mention my slight bias which comes with being a Tim Burton fan. I guess I would say that I enjoy these movies about the same and will definitely be picking them up when they hit the shelves.

Final Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment