Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Villain of the Day- October 26th

Today is another twofer. When people talk about Disney villains, they usually think of one or both of these characters. And I think it has to do with the fact that of the disney movies that came from the renaissance of the early 90's these two came from the most popular movies. Not to say that Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid didn't have its fans, but we seem to remember these two the best, at least my friends do. In case you haven't figured it out yet, we are looking at Scar and Jafar from... Well, you already know. If you don't, then you lead a rather sad existence my friend.

Scar
Personally, I think Scar is my favorite Disney villain. Part of it has to do with that he came from probably my favorite Disney movie, and I think part of it is that he is just a cool villain. Unless I am mistakened, he's the only villain in a Disney movie that actually managed to kill one of the main characters, unless you count MAN from Bambi, but then again, MAN was more of an entity or an idea rather than an actual character in Bambi. Again, like all good villains, what makes Scar so great is that he manipulates people. Jafar manipulated people too, but he had a little help from his powers to do that. Scar just schemed his way into his position of power. Something that I never really thought about, but I think it needs speculation: Why the hell is Scar the color orange and black? I never really got that. I guess it's because he's evil, but how did he get that way? I've looked up tons of pictures of lions and not one of them had a black mane. Weird.

Jafar
This is the other character that people think of when they think of animated villains. And why shouldn't they? He's a cool villain. I will admit, he does loose a few points in my book because he had magic spells to help him get what he wanted, whereas others used their cunning and wit, but even the magic power had a cool part to play. It did after all, give him the ability to turn into a snake. Apart from his ability to change into a giant freaking snake, Jafar also has the ability to hypnotize people, hold them in place, conjure objects from nowhere, summon fire, pretty much everything that your typical supervillain can do. Now that I think about it, he does have a lot of the same powers as Loki. Coincidence? Hell if I know. And on top of that, he's just an all around dick, but he's so sly and smooth about it that you can often miss it at times, only to realize a few moments later that he just verbally slapped you in the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment