Sunday, November 27, 2011

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

This is another one that is very dear to me. Not only is it one of the first Christmas movies that I saw as a kid, it was also the first book that I read, memorized and recited out loud. This is a great special for a lot of reasons. One of them being that while the grinch is a total a-hole, he is still a very likable character. I didn't know this until recently, but apparently the grinch was voiced by Boris Karloff. If you don't know who that is, I can't help you. Probably my favorite part of this special was the song "You're a Mean One", which is just ungodly catchy and nearly impossible to get out of your head. Unlike a lot of songs that get stuck in your head, this one actually isn't all that bad or annoying. And the fact that voice of Tony the Tiger is singing it just makes it all that more enjoyable (I don't know if Tony the Tiger really does sing it, I'm only saying that because when I hear that voice, I think of Tony the Tiger). Much like The Small One or Mickey's Christmas Carol, it isn't all that long but it's still enjoyable, and the old school animation adds some charm and nostalgia to it as well.

And before anybody asks, I actually liked the Ron Howard movie, How the Grinch Stole Christmas... When I was 9! Now I look at it and wonder why people even show it on TV anymore. Why did anybody sign on to it? Come on Ron! You directed Apollo 13 (with Kevin Bacon) and Cinderella Man! There is no excuse for this! The only person who I can forgive for this is Anthony Hopkins and he was the narrator! He probably only spent two days on this movie. And whose decision was it to practically blind Jim Carrey with make-up? How long did it take to apply all that? Imagine going through that every day! Yikes! Do you think it was worth it? I hope you got dropped on your head hard enough to think that it was worth it because nobody else does! You guys even ruined that oh so catchy song that I just praised for being easy to get stuck in your head but likable at the same time! What is wrong with you people?! Explain yourselves! Answer me you apparatus of misery!

So you can probably guess that I am not a huge fan of the movie that came out back in 2000. The animated version, however is a treasure, and I can't help but watch it every time it's on around this time of year.

Final Grades:
Animated: A+
Live-Action: Dude, don't even ask
Yours truly,
MP

No comments:

Post a Comment