Tuesday, November 15, 2011

James Bond Updates

I know this is going to sound like old news, but I feel like I have to write about this (and by that, I mean that it makes me so freaking excited and I'm trying to find stuff to write about right now). The new 007 film finally began shooting a couple of weeks ago, and here is what I know:

Daniel Craig and Judi Dench are both returning to their iconic roles as James Bond and M
Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men) and Ralph Fiennes (Schindler's List, The Harry Potter series) have also joined the cast, Bardem as the movie's main villain and Fiennes as a role that has not yet been disclosed. God, please make Ralph Fiennes a villain for this movie. Amen.
The film is going to shed some light on M's past, as it has apparently come back to haunt her. That is actually kind of cool, I always thought of M as the agent who, back in the day, did one or two things that she isn't so proud of, and tried to bury it in order to save herself from a bad reputation as well as living with crippling guilt for the rest of her life. But, as we all know Karma (is that how you spell that word? I always thought there was an H in there somewhere) is a bitch, and apparently, it is coming for M in the form of Anton from No Country for Old Men.
The events that are brought to light will also cause Bond to question his loyalty to M, which I think is kind of funny, considering in the last movie, she was hounding him and getting on his case about all the crap he's done. Yeah, if I found out my boss did the same shit that she was getting mad at me for, but just wasn't willing to face the music, I would be pretty pissed too. But I digress.
The film is also directed by Sam Mendes, who you might remember as the man who brought us American Beauty and Road to Perdition (which starred Daniel Craig). The only thing that concerns me about this is that while he has proven to be a competent director, I'm not sure he can pull off an action movie. However he did also direct Jarhead, so maybe. I've said it before, and I'll say it again that the ideal person to make a James Bond movie is Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight, Inception, Memento). Not only has he proven to be a competent director, who can direct movies on a huge budget unlike some *cough* Michael Bay, but he has admitted to being a huge fan of the franchise. I don't know who is pulling all the strings in Hollywood, but whoever they are, they need to make that happen and NOW!
So those are my thoughts on the new James Bond movie. Which is your favorite James Bond movie? Who is your favorite actor to play James Bond? How gay is it that George Lazenbi wore puffy shirts in On Her Majesty's Secret Service? Leave a comment below and let me know.
Yours Truly,
MP

No comments:

Post a Comment