Monday, December 5, 2011

Hero of the Day- William Wallace

Every man dies, not every man really lives

Before I get started, I do recognize the fact that there are quite a number of inaccuracies between the movie Braveheart and what was actual history. I am well aware of the fact that some things in this movie were either made up or exaggerated. I do not judge this movie based on its faithfulness to history, I just judge it as a movie, nothing more. That being said, let's move on. William Wallace in the movie was a freaking badass! He truly proved that nobody screws with the Scottish and lives to talk about it. The first part of the movie may be a little slow, but then those English bastards attempt to rape and then kill his wife. This has been recorded as one of the worst mistakes in human history. Don't believe me? Watch the rest of the movie! Not only did he turn hard trained english soldiers into total pussies, but he also inspired his men to fight on long after his death and delivered one of the greatest motivational speeches in film history (that would later be ripped off by almost every war movie to follow it). Sure he went down in the end, but he (sort of) went out on his own terms (he decided not to take the poison and refused to give in when they offered him relief, that counts). Even when he was on trial for his life, he told the english king to go screw himself (not with those exact words, but you get my point). The other thing that is so great about this character is that he has so many great quotes. Obviously there is the one listed above, but there are a bunch more throughout the movie that it was next to impossible for me to pick just one!

Also, I have to point this out. William Wallace was Scottish. You know who else is Scottish? Yup, him. SEAN CONNERY!!! I just realized that most of the people I've brought up so far have been related in some way to Sean Connery. All except for Luke Skywalker and Dirty Harry. Well, Dirty Harry was played by Clint Eastwood, who is like the american Sean Connery. And I'm betting Luke got to be like Sean Connery in his later years.

No comments:

Post a Comment