Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Okay, I just got back from the theater where I saw Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. And to get to the point, I really liked this movie, I really did. I heard a lot of people complain that this was more action and not quite as much mystery, and while I do agree with them about that, I think it should be pointed out that this movie is not so much about solving a mystery as much as it is about trying to stop Professor Moriarty. The other movie was about finding out what Blackwood was doing and how he was doing it. This movie, we already know what the bad guy is trying to do, it's more about just stopping him. It's also mostly about the rivalry between these two eerily similar people. Both are geniuses and both don't mind showing it off. The idea of Moriarty is showing us what Sherlock Holmes would have been like in another life. And in that respect, the movie did a very good job. The scenes where the two of them are in the same room having a battle of wits are some of the best scenes in the movie.
Final Grade: B

It would be a B+, accept for one thing that hurt me deep inside. It's a bit of a spoiler, so those of you who don't want me to ruin it, stop reading this after the *
Also, I think Professor Moriarty deserves the "Villain of the Year" award, with Sebastian Shaw from X-Men: First Class in a close second. The other two contenders were Loki from Thor and Red Skull from Captain America


Yours truly,
MP




*The thing that hurt me deep inside was the fact that a certain future wife of mine met her demise in the beginning of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment