- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford- This one just baffles me because it is so good, it is so well made and it has two really good actors giving some of their best work (Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck are great as their respective roles). The fact that there wasn't even a peep of Oscar Buzz surrounding this movie just astonishes me.
- Gone, Baby, Gone- Casey Affleck makes another appearance on this list in an adaptation of a novel written by one of my favorite authors Dennis Lehane, who also wrote Shutter Island and Mystic River, one of my all time favorite movies. You would think that with a book penned by such a good writer, it would have drawn more attention, but sadly, it didn't.
- Hollywoodland- I'm betting some of you have never even heard of this one. This is the fictionalized account of a PI looking into the death of actor George Reeves, who was the first person to play Superman on television. Now, I haven't seen this movie in a long time and I don't remember that much about it, but I do remember being really intrigued by the story and the twists, as well as trying to work it out in my head. Much like J. Edgar, I think people were turned off by how slowly it was paced.
- Eastern Promises- This movie came out around the same time as American Gangster, so I'm guessing it just got buried underneath the hype and praise for that movie. I don't know, what I do know is that this is a great movie that really deserves to be watched. Viggo Mortensen does some fine work as a Russian mobster in London and the rest of the cast (including Naomi Watts) is great too. It was directed by David Cronenberg, better known to the world for directing A History of Violence. Again, with that fact in mind, I'm a little surprised that this movie was so overlooked, especially when it is directed by somebody who made another really popular movie.
- Observe and Report- I'm not entirely sure if this is a cult hit or not, because those who have seen it have loved it, and quote it all the time. It was shown to me by a friend of mine a few years ago, and it has been on my list of favorite comedies ever since. I will say though, that it is a crazy ass movie and not for the weak stomached (I believe the director described it as "if Taxi Driver was a comedy")
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
Some Really Underrated Movies
These are the movies that I think are really good and deserve ALOT more recognition than they got. In most cases, these are just movies that sort of came and went and didn't get the audience that I think it deserved. So without more ado...