Thursday, December 22, 2011

Top Ten Movies of 2011

So, now that the year is drawing to a close, I've decided to give you my picks for best movies of 2011. Now, these aren't the movies that I think should win big at the Academy Awards or anything, these are the movies I just liked the most, whether because they were entertaining, had great action or humor, or because they had great story, plot, characters, etc. I will say that it's nice having a year where three of my favorite directors have movies that come out, and thankfully they didn't disappoint. FYI, the directors are Martin Scorsese, David Fincher and Clint Eastwood. In 2010, I had a similar year where Martin Scorsese, Christopher Nolan, the Coens and David Fincher all delivered as well (Shutter Island, Inception, True Grit, and Social Network). Ridley Scott (Robin Hood), Tim Burton (Alice in Wonderland) and Clint Eastwood (Hereafter) also made movies in 2010, but they were kind of a swing and a miss. I should also add that this is in no particular order, just accept that I liked these movies and be done with it.
  1. Hugo (Martin Scorsese)
  2. X-Men: First Class* (Matthew Vaughn)
  3. Thor** (Kenneth Branagh)
  4. J. Edgar (Clint Eastwood)
  5. The Debt (John Madden)
  6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 (David Yates)
  7. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (David Fincher)
  8. Margin Call (J.C Chandor)
  9. The Muppets (James Bobin)
  10. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (Brad Bird)
Thankfully, this year delivered a lot more in terms of memorable movies. Last year wasn't bad, but with the acception of True Grit, Social Network, Toy Story 3 and Inception, I don't remember that many movies that came out last year. Some were good, but others (in fact most) were okay. Most of the movies listed you can probably guess I'll get when they come out on DVD, if they haven't already.





*This movie has Kevin Bacon in it
**FYI, I enjoyed Captain America: The First Avenger, but I already knew I would enjoy it. With Thor, I was not expecting to like it and was surprised at how much I really ended up liking this movie. That is why Thor is on the list in place of Captain America: The First Avenger

No comments:

Post a Comment